The Essential 55 Implementation

Hey everyone. So I'm super excited for my first blog post and I was inspired by an IG post by @adventuresin5th about starting The Essential 55 by Ron Clark (#heismyhero). I'm sure many of you have read this amazing book, but if not . . . GRAB IT NOW! The change that took place in my room was so spectacular guys.

Now I started this later in the year, but I've got big plans for how I'm going to implement it this year. It will basically start DAY 1 and will continue covering 11 rules each day the first week of school. At the end of the week I will put up my poster (that I got at RCA . . . butterflies are forming just reminiscing about it) for the class to see for the rest of year. That last day my scholars will have all 55 typed up as a contract. They will review these with their families and both the scholar and their family must sign and return it the following week. My plan is to video the review of The Essential 55 and post it to our class website. By doing this I can use it as a reference when needed and our families can hear EXACTLY what I have delivered to our class.

The big key to making this successful is to be consistent and make NO exceptions. I am a very loving teacher, but I lay down the law up front and I do not sway from what my expectations are for my scholars. Our learning environment is fun, but we have to have structure to function. Now I want to hear from you. What "wonders" have you experienced by implementing this book in your room? How did you get started?

No comments

Back to Top